We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You can update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Skip to main content

Application for a road closure

Page 1

Please read the notes below before proceeding to the application form:


Guidance Notes

Police Officers will not routinely be available to oversee any aspect of the road traffic management scheme, including any road closures. Organisers are responsible for managing their event without any Police assistance, including:



  • Arrange public liability insurance cover for an indemnity limit of a minimum of £5m.
  • Obtain the necessary licence / permit from the Council’s licensing department if the event will involve the sale of alcohol; street trading or the collection of money for charity (Licensing information is available on our website).
  • Undertake a risk assessment of the event and make this available to be shared with the Safety Advisory Group if requested.  
  • Consult neighbours and other affected residents in advance – You might like to involve them in the organising committee.
  • Undertake a traffic management plan and event plan to ensure traffic diversions are considered and can demonstrate how the event will impact local residents’ and businesses. Further guidance is available in the Home Office guides.
  • Erect diversion and advance warning signs where necessary, subject to the approval of private landowners (garden fences, gates etc:) and/or Surrey County Council Highways (road verges and other Highway property – for specific advice contact the Highways department on 08456 009 009). 
  • Provide training for marshals.
  • Bear any other costs associated with the closure including signs, barriers, lighting etc.


  • Enable emergency and other vehicles to pass and repass at all times during the period of the road closure. 
  • Deploy a sufficient number of trained marshals at all appropriate locations to facilitate the road closure and the access arrangements referred to above.
  • For moving processions, marshals must be stationed: 

- at road junctions and along the route at a ratio of 1:20 for children's processions and 1:30 for adults

- in front and at the rear, together with vehicles bearing yellow flashing warning lights (these can be private cars)



  • Ensure that the site is left clean and tidy after the event with all signs / notices removed. 

About the applicant


If you are a Tandridge resident, please enter your postcode in the box below, including the space, ie RH8 0BT, and click the 'Show Postcode Addresses' button and select your address.

You must provide a contact number for a nominated person to be available for the duration of the road closure in the event that the Council or Police have any matters arising.

Event details

i.e. street party, carnival, torchlight procession etc
Date of event

Time of event
Time of event, including additional time for setting up and clearing away

Please give names of road(s) and be specific about which part of the road is to be closed i.e London Road from its junction with Godstone Road to its junction with Limpsfield Road.

You will need to erect diversion signs to ensure that drivers are safely re-routed.

Protecting your data
We know how important keeping your personal data secure and safe is. It's very important to us too. We only collect and keep personal information about you so we can provide the services you need, to help us keep details about those services and our contact with you. We will only share your personal data to help us provide services. View our Privacy Notice